A sparkling smile is like a business logo to an individual. It can attract people, it can make them feel more relaxed and at ease in your company, which would mean a lot for your own confidence boost. So it is working for you even when you don’t think about it.
Yes, we are all born with a certain set of teeth and it’s always best to keep your natural ones. But it doesn’t mean you have to settle for something unsatisfactory just because it’s nature’s gift. The secret is that you can get and maintain a set of pearly whites of your own. Just like all those celebrities beaming at us from the posters. All you have to do is follow these steps and you’ll be surprised at the results and pleased with yourself.
1. Choose the correct toothpaste and toothbrush. Which simply means match the toothpaste to the state your teeth are in, for example, if your teeth are sensitive, look out for the paste designed specially for sensitive teeth. It does make sense to choose whitening toothpastes if your teeth need a bit of brightening up.
2. Brush and floss your teeth regularly. Be careful not to overbrush though as heavy brushing may cause the enamel to erode.
3. Watch what you eat: avoid foods and drinks that will stain the tooth enamel. Tea as a matter of fact can stain teeth even more than coffee so if your daily beverage is a cup of strong black tea you might want to swap it for something completely different.
4. Be careful not to mix hot and cold stuff in your mouth, like ice-cream and hot tart, or hot tea and cold cheesecake as the temperature contrast can cause the enamel to crack which will open up the gates for bacteria.
5. Avoid sugary snacks or drinks between meals. If you have to have something sweet save it for the end of your meals when the saliva flow is established by chewing food.
6. Maintain your teeth health by having regular check-ups.
7. Don’t delay your visit to a dentist if you need emergency care for a problem like a toothache or a broken or chipped tooth. The longer your wait the worse it will get. The problem with toothaches is that they are slightly different to any other ache or pain in your body, Usually toothaches don’t get better by themselves like a headache, for example. A toothache in 9 out of 10 cases will get worse and so will the tooth damage which will cost you more in the end to repair. So it’s useful to keep notes of all the local dental services and dentist office locations for emergency care.
8. Quit smoking, if you are a smoker, as it causes teeth stains and gum disease. For non-smokers, give yourself a pat on shoulder.
9. Beware if you tend to grind your teeth (awake or in your sleep). Teeth grinding is usually caused by stress, so try and reduce stress in your life, try some relaxation techniques. Always check with your doctor or dentist if the problem persists.
10. Good teeth are worth investing in, so go ahead: consult your dentist and have some dental surgery if you need to.